BETA has over 45 years expertise in conducting vibration assessments, including vibration acceptance tests.
Our experience includes machinery such as:
- reciprocating compressors and pumps
- foundations or offshore platforms
- centrifugal or screw compressor problems
- transient events in a gas or liquid piping system
- flow-induced pulsation-vibration issues in piping systems
- paper machines
- engines, turbines, and other machines.
Our field engineers have a thorough understanding of dynamic analysis, resonance (causes and mitigation), mechanical design, torsional stress analysis, pulsation measurements and avoidance, impact testing, modal analysis, ODS, performance issues, and multi-channel instrumentation.
Contact us to discuss your application and for advice on vibration analysis
BETA advantages include:
- Audited safety program meets global standards. This focus on safety is a significant advantage and benefit to our customers.
- Expert staff with unique skills.
- Global support, with offices in the USA, Canada, Asia and regular coverage in other areas.
- Specialized software analysis tools provide fast and comprehensive results.
- Equipment calibration and testing. Most competitors lack the resources for calibration of pulsation and vibration instrumentation.
The following tasks may be required, depending on your application:
- Vibration on machines and piping systems: record vibration throughout the compressor/piping system using spectral analysis. Evaluate vibrations at run speed, harmonic and at non-synchronous frequencies. Identify locations where vibration exceeds the industry guideline.
- Vibration on turbomachinery: record shaft relative motion and, or casing vibration throughout a speed range and analyze using spectra, bode plots, shaft centerline plots and envelope analysis to understand rotordynamic and bearing issues.
- Speed sweep: for variable speed applications (motor or engine driven), check vibration amplitudes at all operating speeds. It is common to find severe vibration at a specific speed because of resonant conditions.
- Pulsation Assessment: measure pressure pulsations and identify locations where acoustical forces may be above guideline.
- Impact (Bump) Tests: measure Mechanical Natural Frequencies (MNFs) of vessels, cylinders, frame and other components of the system. Identify where resonance conditions will occur.
- Operating Deflection Shape (ODS): measure relative vibration across machine system. This technique is useful to identify root cause of problem.
- Foundation, Skid Check: inspect grout condition, relative vibration at different points on foundation, degradation, gravel/pile contact, and other factors affecting foundation integrity. Assess stiffness and resonance in skid and supporting structures.
- Small diameter piping (small bore): identify locations where instrumentation and other small bore piping is resonant.
> Small Bore Piping
- Performance Review: computer simulation of system to verify power and throughput meet specifications
- System Integrity: inspect clamps, bracing, bolts, flange alignment, wedge supports and other components
|Field testing to resolve pulsation and vibration problems|
- Analyze and reporting: provide a comprehensive checklist of problem areas and results.
- Identify root cause of vibration problems to avoid "band aid" solutions that often do not resolve the problem.
- Quick Improvements: fix problems on site if possible
- Other Options:
- Torsional vibration review
- Audible noise levels
- Alignment check
A field visit to conduct a vibration assessment is recommended for:
- Start-up check: identifies areas where vibration exceeds guideline and establishes a baseline for future vibration measurements.
- Vibration problems or failures: cracked nozzles, piping, or other events are often due to vibration or pulsation related problems.
- Process or operating conditions change. A vibration problem often develops when a compressor’s operating condition changes. For example, the unit should be checked if flow, speed, temperature, or suction/discharge pressure change to a new condition.
Benefits to Owner
- Baseline assessment of equipment condition - to establish operating and performance conditions
- Independent review by machinery experts
- Practical recommendations to minimize maintenance and capital costs
- Planning and support for prioritizing turnaround activities
Resonance Problem - fixed with simple on-site solution
Spectrum Analysis - identifies resonances causing vibration
BETA Specialists identified the correct bracing scheme to resolve cylinder vibration